Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Everything is a Text

Associations are odd things.

Association is an odd thing. Avoiding it seems to be an act not unlike slipping between the raindrops in a downpour. Is this really how we establish what we know, or think we know?

When you look at me you look at what I'm wearing, my hair, my glasses, my skin color, my gate, etc. All of these thing help you to form an embryonic opinion of me. What follows, if we interact, is either a series of predictable outputs or a litany of surprises, depending on the accuracy of your initial assessment.

When you come to my blog, you look at the colors, the words, the quotes, the links, the titles, my spelling, the topics, the length of posts. A similar assessment is made concerning your opinion (maybe opinion isn't the right word) of me and/or my blog - either my blog, myself via the blog, or the blog's message, or me personally via the blogs message, and whether or not said message is related with skill or not.

That being said, by this point, you've probably stopped reading and clicked "back" on your browser, though not before at least some of this had taken place.

Perhaps I haven't satisfied you. Perhaps the requisite photo and caption weren't present. An obsession with these associations can lead to the habit of either attempting to fulfill all of these expectations or circumventing them altogether, neither of which being completely possible.

If I place a cross, or an icon of the crucifixion on my blog, you know exactly what I am, what my blog is about, what "I am about". So I'm reticent to do it. What if I told you that I believed the crucifixion was the profound center of the earth, of reality, of time, the cosmos? Or that I believed that "the greatest and most perfect thing a human being can ever desire to achieve is to come near to God and dwell in union with Him"?

What does that do? To us?

Words are a strange thing. I spend my time writing them, and I believe that they spring from this mysterious center of the cosmos, but I hardly ever turn to this thing as a subject of my writing. But everything is a text.

No comments: