Thursday, April 30, 2009

Jump puddles, puddle jumper! (raBt tRayLZ 2.2)

Earlier the thunder sounded like somebody was doing a bad job of moving a large piece of furniture around next door. The storm is over us now, and it rolls all the way across the sky, from our west windows over the house, to our east windows. The latter of which Estrella is lying beneath and pouting, telling me that "she wishes she could go outside and jump in the puddles." For my part I haven't really got out of this chair since I woke up, seeing as how I fell asleep at 3:30 and woke up at 7. Seven is actually a bit late for me lately. Still tired though. Soon I'll get up and make some coffee. We don't have much, but we've got coffee - and a little bit of milk and sugar to boot.



At first I thought it was cute (except not really) that kids these days were dressing like what they thought kids dressed like in the '80s, and then it really annoyed me, but then it dawned on me: aren't we in for a timely grunge revival? If you think the 80's brouhaha is bad, it's going to be really annoying when kids start wearing green cardigans and flannel shirts again. Anway that's my prediction - we're going to skip Ska this cycle which is fine, as I like my Ska-ffinity to remain relatively confidential. Already, the winds of change are blowing.



On a completely different note, I've found the amazing website of a group of architects based in Bethlehem, whose goal is to "to extend the analytical reach of our respective investigations and engage with the spatial realities of the conflict in a propositional manner. The project includes multiple ways of architectural intervention and activism and it uses architecture as a form of tactical intervention in a political process." In other words, to address the reality of colonial occupation in the West Bank through creative and critical means. I haven't had much time to peruse the site, but it's refreshing and encouraging to see the multitude of strategies and fronts on which the colonial program can be critiqued and ultimately (hopefully) dismantled.

No comments: