Friday, December 19, 2008

I'm Me.

I looked at myself in the mirror at the video store tonight and thought that I looked like someone who looked like me.

When I was young I was equally intrigued with three ideas that spoke to a single, young, and budding existential dilemma. I would look in the mirror trying to imagine whatever it is that was before the universe, and later (presumably) human beings. I couldn't get over the fact that in trying to imagine nothing - a void, a vacuum - I was in fact imagining something, and that it was impossible to imagine anything prior to the time when there was something. When I got bored with that I would - still looking in the mirror - repeat my name out loud over and over again, until I attained this acute sense of 1) what an utterly bizarre sound the sound of my name was and 2) how it failed miserably in even coming close to representing anything that might signify who I was as an individual. I was always aware of the fact that the association between myself and my name was arbitrary (which is, apparently, one of my top ten favorite words according to Rachel). Similarly, there was this cartoon on Sesame Street that I remember. It consisted of two spice-drop looking characters, one large and blue, and the other small and red. The large one would hop onto the screen and bellow: "I'm BIG... I'm BIG. I'M BIG" or something to that effect. Troubled, the little red fellow would fidget about for a bit before finally mustering up that courage to utter the words "I'm... I'm ...I'm... ME. I'm ME! I'm ME! I'M ME!" Obviously it was one of those propaganda clips meant to inculcate kids with a sense of worth regardless of size or color, but for me it represented a different dilemma. Later, looking in the mirror, I would have a hard time reconciling the truth of the statement "I'm Me" with the truth itself. If I was first of all someTHING - did indeed exist - was second of all not my name, nor merely an amalgam of my physical characteristcs (red, blue, big, little), than what was I?

2 comments:

food for worms said...

ah ha... ahhh.. dude. that was like... dude.

seriously, I can relate.

Hope you are well! I thought about calling you today, but thought you might be busy, so the next time you get some extra time Bro', give me call! Peace.

food for worms said...

Dude, by the way "The White Star Journal" flippin' rules! I have been reading it lately, but there is 'no comments allowed" on there. i like the new one, a memory of para-transit. I like the idea of writing memories and i might have to steal/copy that idea too. And I just read the story about Samson two days ago!!! Peace to your fleece!