Sunday, December 14, 2008

children or no

I spend a great deal of time walking around in circles in my children's room in the dark. Well, not really a great deal of time, but it seems like alot, and I probably do spend more time walking around in circles in a dark room than most of my friends, children or no. My son has is turning out to be quite the little gremlin. He's built like a lumberjack, and enjoys romper-rooming about like a Wild Thing. This translates into many a spill and subsequent markings, but he doesn't mind much so neither do we. I don't let myself get angry when I feel as though I've got a lot to do and I've got to take the time getting him to sleep. It isn't easy. I'm often on the verge, but besides him not being able to help his crankiness (age, teeth coming in), and him being beautiful beyond belief, it is good to stop and think, focus on the details of the dark room, my creaky body, my aching sinuses, my mind in browning motions. I watch the digits on my daughters clock tic, tic, tic, gauging when it will be safe to put him in his sleeper. I feel the weight of his head sink deeper into my arm, his breaths spread out, his limbs dangle. Then I put him down, and get back to work.

No comments: