Thursday, December 4, 2008

you and the parentheses (parenthesi?)

We measure our lives in teaspoons and our semesters in breaths. At the end of my life I'll let out one long, hopefully non-verbalized (uuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnghhhh) breath; at the end of the semester I'll remember TO breath. Maybe I should work on my last breath. Perhaps I can make it a strawberry ("bpthbpthbpthbpthbpthbpth"), and hang my teaspoon on my nose. For some reason that reminds me of the dying hero-monk character in the Russian film "Octpob" (Oh-strove, approximately - not "Okt-pawb"), who, as he lays himself down in his coffin ready to give up the ghost, is pestered by his well-meaning and repentant brother monk. When asked what the monk should do with his life - his final thoughts, as it were - he breaths, exasperated, something to the effect of "Just try not to sin too much."

"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled." (T.S.E.)

No comments: