Tuesday, February 17, 2009

5th Level Grecian Philosopher beats your Mountain Gnome Card


I've found a new spot to sit and read on campus. I won't tell you where it is, but I will tell you that it has got large windows that let in plenty of light, and is relatively quiet. I almost wish I would have started going there before the snowy season was over so I could sit in one of the windows and watch it.

We've recently blasted through sections of Plato's Republic in my Western Civilization class; I sat in one of the big windows reading it this morning. I am intrigued by it, for a number of reasons: 1) I'm fascinated at what seems to be the Grecian idea of "good" prior to Socratic/Platonic thought, 2) I'm surprised at all of the little instances where Plato's nuanced observations about human nature (via the character of Socrates) resonate with a sort of timely timelessness - you know: how it seems as though the characters are remarking about folks today, in the modern world. And 3) it seems as though Socrates and all of his nerdy smart-friends sitting around dreaming up an ideal city are the archetypical forum of D&D types, sitting around arguing about the lineage of 12th level Elfin clerics and such. Somehow. Also somehow I'm excited about reading Aristotle next.

1 comment:

food for worms said...

I'm glad to see you back in the blog-o-sphere bro. I hope to see you soon. P